Micaceous iron oxide is a naturally-occurring, shiny black pigment with a distinct layered, scale-like structure. It is used in large quantities in KREIDEZEIT Rust Protection Paint and forms a protective ‘armour plate’ on steel, which greatly increases resistance to water and oxygen. The colour used to be known as ‘scale armour’. In addition, the micaceous iron oxide provides excellent protection against deterioration to the paint caused by UV radiation. The linseed oil contained in the paint ensures it sticks well to the substrate.
KREIDEZEIT Rust Protection Paint comes in the classic DB 703 tone, Anthracite Grey Metallic, used by the German railway operator Deutsche Bahn.
KREIDEZEIT Rust Protection Paint is a resin-free, pure oil paint and does not crack, tear or peel, gradually weathering instead. Unlike conventional rust protection coatings, KREIDEZEIT Rust Protection Paint doesn’t let rust spread around scratched or damaged areas.
It is easy to clean and restore, and can be repaired in very small patches.
Suitable for steel surfaces that have been de-rusted by hand with scrapers or wire brush (SA 1); no need to remove the rust completely with power tools.
Its anti-rust effect has been tried and tested: Winner of a test conducted on 33 conventional anti-rust paints by the German television programme ARD Ratgeber Technik (March 1999).
KREIDEZEIT Rust Protection Paint can be used on its own or as a primer, depending on the desired look.
- On its own, 2-3 coats: For matt, satin, metallic surfaces
- Finish with transparent Wood Lazure: For glossy, rich, anthracite-coloured surfaces
- Finish with KREIDEZEIT Stand Oil Paint: For an opaque look in a range of colours
The product must not be painted over with synthetic resin/acrylic paints or automotive paints. Not suitable for flooring, ovens, radiators and pipes, old synthetic resin-based coats or outdoor horizontal surfaces.
- Ready to apply
- Suitable for metal surfaces that have been de-rusted by hand (no power tools necessary)
- Long-lasting protection against rust
- no rust spreading around scratched areas
- Resin-free, weather-resistant and elastic
- Highly opaque, matt
- Tone: DB 703, Anthracite Grey Metallic
- Doesn’t crack, tear or peel
- Easy to keep in good condition
- Density: approx. 2 kg / litre
- Cobalt, lead and barium-free
Micaceous iron oxide, linseed oil, linseed stand oil, balsamic turpentine oil, talc, silica, clay, zinc white and manganese drier
When using the product, the complete Product information must be observed.
Warning! There is a risk of self-ignition when working materials are soaked with product.
Processing and drying temperatures: at least 10°C for a minimum of 48 hours.
Stir product thoroughly prior to processing. Remove any layers of oxidation caused during storage; do not stir in. If using containers with different batch numbers, mix and stir together prior to application. The product must not be poured onto surfaces!
Apply product thinly and evenly with a brush or roller. Avoid applying excess amounts or ensure to spread them thinly. Spread out any coalesced paint from the corners using an unloaded brush. Stir occasionally during application.
Only apply subsequent coats once the previous coat has thoroughly dried and when the Rust Pro-tection Paint is no longer slippery to the touch.
Number of Coats
Wood (indoors and outdoors)
- coat of Base Oil , see above.
- coats of Rust Protection Paint
Steel (outdoors): 3 coats of Rust Protection Paint
Steel (indoors): 2 coats of Rust Protection Paint
Zinc (outdoors): Allow at least 1 year to weather, wash the oxidized surface with soapy water and a scouring pad (do not use steel wool!). Then apply 2 coats of Rust Protection Paint
Final Treatment / Design
Depending on the desired appearance, the following final coats can be applied to the dried Rust Protection Paint indoors or outdoors:
- For matt, satin, metallic surfaces: Leave untreated.
- For glossy, rich, anthracite-coloured surfaces: Apply 1-2 coats of Wood Lazure, colourless (article no. 300).
- For varnished, tinted surfaces: Apply 1-2 coats of Wood Lazure, colourless, tinted with KREIDEZEIT Pigments
- For an opaque look in a range of colours, apply at least 1 coat of Stand Oil Paint -rich-
Dry and re-coatable at 20°C and 60% relative hu-midity after approx. 24-48 hours. High humidity and cold temperatures significantly extend the drying time. Hardened after approx. 4 weeks.
High-quality paint and round brushes, short-pile paint rollers. Do not use a spray to apply the product.
Cleaning the Tools
Clean immediately after use with Balsamic Turpentine and then with Olive Care Soap or Corfu Soap.
– Do not tint with pigments. For aesthetic purposes, the product can be mixed in any ratio with KREIDEZEIT Stand Oil Paint, however the product may then lose its anti-rust effect.
Due to the content of natural oils, a yellowing occurs on surfaces with low exposure to light. A typical odour is emitted when natural oils dry; this disappears with time.
If there is no dealer in your region, you can order directly from us under +49 5060 – 6080650 or under firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any further questions.