KREIDEZEIT Multi Purpose Wax is a solvent-free linseed oil/beeswax treatment for low-impact indoor wood surfaces – perfect for furniture, doors, beams and cladding. Brings out the colour of the wood grain and gives the wood a honey-toned, silky, anti-static surface.
Our multi-purpose wax has stood the test of time, having been in our range for over 25 years. Multi Purpose Wax is typically applied with a cloth. But it can be applied with a paint brush on large surfaces if diluted 1:1 with Balsamic Turpentine .
The high linseed oil content ensures that the product doesn’t dry too quickly and deeply penetrates into the tiniest of pores thanks to the small size of the molecules. The beeswax fills the pores of the wood and provides a surface with a lovely, warm feel.
Can be tinted with KREIDEZEIT Pigments.
KREIDEZEIT Multi Purpose Wax does not contain any solvents or water, and consists exclusively of natural oils and wax. It contains no ‘hidden’ alkyd resins produced from non-drying oils such as rapeseed, soybean or sunflower oil.
Not suitable for flooring, countertops or outdoor use.
Dirt and water repellent
Transparent, honey-toned and brings out the wood grain
Doesn’t tear or become brittle
Diffusible, antistatic and warm to touch
Easy to work with and touch up
Saliva and sweat-resistant according to DIN 53160
Cobalt, lead and barium-free
Linseed oil, beeswax, tung stand oil and manganese drier
Warning! There is a risk of self-ignition when working materials are soaked with product.
Application Stir product thoroughly prior to processing. Remove any layers of oxidation caused during storage; do not stir in. Apply one or two coats of KREIDEZEIT Multi Purpose Wax, allowing the first coat to dry before applying the second. The substrate may require sanding before applying the second coat. If using containers with different batch numbers, mix and stir together prior to application. The product must not be poured onto surfaces! Clean and dust down untreated substrates. To ensure good penetration, it is recommended to dilute the product with at least 20% Balsamic Turpentine for the first coat on very dense, poorly-absorbent and tannin-rich wood (such as oak).
1. Initial sanding Sand the wood (grit P80-100), rounding the edges. Do not use a finer sandpaper as this will make the wood too dense and unable to absorb enough oil. New, smooth, planed or finely pre-sanded wood should be rough sanded to ensure the oil can be absorbed. Dust down thoroughly after sanding.
2. First coat Apply KREIDEZEIT Multi Purpose Wax evenly with a brush, cloth or sponge. After 10-20 minutes, thoroughly wipe the entire treated area with a dry, lint-free cloth until the surface has a uniform satin appearance. Ensure that all unabsorbed oil has been completely removed, as otherwise shiny or sticky patches may remain. KREIDEZEIT Multi Purpose Wax must fully penetrate into the wood. It must not form a layer on the wood.
3. Re-sanding between coats (optional) Re-sanding between coats is only required if the surface has dried rough, for example if wood fibres have dried proud of the surface. Use sand paper (grit P100-120) in the direction of the fibre. Dust down thoroughly after sanding.
4. Second coat (optional) A second coat may be necessary on more absorbent surfaces. Repeat as per the first coat.
5. Wax treatment To improve the gloss, you can finish with KREIDEZEIT Carnauba Wax Emulsion (article no. 415) after at least 48 hours. To do this, dilute 1 part emulsion with 2 parts water. Apply evenly and thinly, allow to dry and polish as needed.
Drying Times Dry and recoatable at 20°C and 60% relative humidity after approx. 24 hours (48 hours for substrates containing tannin, e.g. oak, etc.). High humidity, cold temperatures and substrates containing tannin significantly extend the drying time. Hardened after approx. 4 weeks. Use the surface gently and protect from water during this time.
– For applying over large areas When working with large surfaces such as wood cladding and beams, it is often too difficult to apply the Multi Purpose Wax or wipe off any excess amounts on rough wood surfaces by hand. In this case, it is recommended to dilute the Multi Purpose Wax 1:1 with Balsamic Turpentine. Apply thinly and evenly with a soft brush. Allow to dry without polishing. Once the Multi Purpose Wax has dried, any areas that are touched frequently should be polished using a horsehair brush until silky-glossy.
Note Due to the content of natural oils, a yellowing occurs on surfaces with low exposure to light. A typical odour is emitted when natural oils dry; this disappears with time. Failure to remove iron filings on the surface can cause discolouration when applying the product. Not recommended for use on inside surfaces of cupboards; these are best treated with Shellac Varnish, Carnauba Wax Emulsion or Corfu Soap.
The product can be tinted with any KREIDEZEIT Pigment.
Start by stirring the pigments into a small amount of the product until it forms a lump-free paste, and then stir into the main mixture. Instruction
The pigments can be mixed freely with each other.
Colour samples are available from our retailers. Alternatively, the product can be tinted in any ratio with Stand Oil Paint -half rich-.
We would like to point out that the color tones cannot always be displayed correctly by different monitors and their settings. The same applies to self-produced prints of these colours. In order to get a better or true-to-original impression of our colours, we recommend the purchase of our colour cards with original coats or our printed, free flyers.